Saturday, December 21, 2013

World's Deepest Step Well... Chand Baori... Abhaneri India


This is just an amazing construction  of a Step Well  "Chand Baori" in a  village called Abhaneri near Jaipur in the Indian state of Rajasthan. Located opposite Harshat Mata Temple and is thought to be one of the deepest and largest Step Wells in India. Built in the 9th Century  by King Chanda  and was dedicated to Hashat Mata  (Godess of joy and happiness)  it has 3,500 narrow steps,13 stories and is a 100 feet deep. Not that I counted them I got dizzy trying. An amazing example of the architectural  workmanship of the past.  It was intended to conserve water and was a community gathering place.  When I saw this the name Escher popped into my head!!






2 comments:

Mary Lindsay said...

OH! my what an amazing place, if I was to look down that my vertigo would see me soon at the bottom of the well - Ouch!!

Krishenkas Treasures said...

I can tell you I was more than grateful there was a barrier. An incredible thing to see

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...