Friday, January 18, 2013

My Name is Finch and I like it...

My name is Finch - it’s actually my surname... everyone calls me it and I like it.
I live in Leeds in Yorkshire, not too far from the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.
I actually have no formal training in anything to do with sewing or my textile based work,Ive learnt everything myself.




Ive tried many areas creatively over the years and now I find myself sewing which I adore.
When I'm not making things which isn't that often I love to read and watch old movies. I collect,miniature metal chairs and love to hoard things in glass jars.
Ive called my business Mister Finch so its clear from the start that I'm a man and one that sews. 
We are a bit thin on the ground but we are out there!




My main inspirations come from nature and often I return to certain ideas again and again.
Flowers,insects and birds really fascinate me with their amazing life cycles and extraordinary nests and behaviour.
British folklore is also so beautifully rich in fabulous stories and warnings and never ceases to be at the heart of what I make.
Shape shifting witches,moon gazing hares and a smartly dressed devil ready to invite you to stray from the path.




Humanising animals with shoes and boots is something Ive always done and I imagine them to come alive at night. Get dressed and live our their secret night life maybe helping an elderly shoemaker or the tired housewife.
Making things has always been incredibly important to me and is often an amazing release to get it out of my system.
Its a joy to hunt for things for my work...the lost, found and forgotten all have places in what I make.
Most of my pieces use recycled materials, not only as an ethical statement, but I believe they add more authenticity and charm.
A story sewn in,woven in.



Velvet curtains from an old hotel, a threadbare wedding dress and a vintage apron become birds and beasts, looking for new owners and adventures to have.
Storytelling creatures for people who are also a little lost, found and forgotten...




.  The above  article was written by Mister Finch himself and he has plenty more to say, if you pop over using the links below,  you will see just what I mean.  All I can say Mr Finch is that you are one very talented artist, and I had a great time  in fact a  very long time indeed,  browsing through your fabulous creations All that's left to say now is, enjoy.....  Mister Finch Website and  Mister Finch Facebook and  Finch I hope this put's a little smile on your face.:)





6 comments:

Finch said...

Thankyou so much for blogging about me and doing it in such a lovely way...
Wishes,
Finch
Mister Finch

Krishenkas Treasures said...

The pleasure was mine and thank you for popping over

Adaptable Kay said...

What an absolutely fabulous interview with such a curious and unique individual :)

I'm quite in love with his whimsical and absolutely beautiful creations!

Mary Lindsay said...

I can't hang around to long as I just have to pop over to Mr. Finchs's world and drown myself in sheer utter delight. But just before I go I have to say what a great story and a huge thank you for telling us about this fantastic and unique man. Must fly. Ta-Ta the noo! Mary x

Krishenkas Treasures said...

I am sure Finch will be delighted to here that Kayla he is indeed quite a character. Hay Mary hope you enjoyed his work,and thanks for your comment. Finch is just setting up a fan page so will be back to give you the link soon. Happy weekend

Sydney in Wonderland said...

Oh, I love this! They are the sorts of things I see in dreams and must expect don't actually exist.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...