Friday, April 15, 2011

Monograms From Days Gone By




One of the oldest forms of identification in the world, and is still widely recognized and used today? The Monogram.

A monogram is a symbol that is created out of letters. This is deemed as a very personal item as the monograms are usually the initials of the person who owns the item.


I love them and I only ever succeeded to do one successful monogram and it took me roughly about 17 hours as I unpicked, redid, unpicked again till my fingers screamed at me to stop. I fully intend to do another but have no idea when and hope my eyes last out long enough to create another. A professional could have done it in half the time I am sure.

 
Today’s technology allows you to create monograms on a machine but for me,  although very clever  it doesn’t sit right with me, although a friend of mine has created some beautiful pieces so perhaps I have the wrong attidute. I guess I am a romantic and when I think of the young victorian girls sitting for hours creating works of art that we can still enjoy today and for many years to come I hope. Plus, I want to say I did that! and not my machine ( anyway I don’t have one and probably never will)


So when I see vintage monogrammed sheets at vide greniers and brocantes, and I can afford them I have to have. Thought I would let you see just  a few of mine. !



The book above has some fabulous examples and shows you all the stitches so perhaps before my dotage I will get down to trying again.




5 comments:

Mystica said...

Those are beautiful pieces of work but I wouldnt mind at all having sheets monogrammed on a machine!

Krishenkas Treasures said...

Mystica your comment made me go look at some machined monogrames and I found a lot that are stunning. Think I want one and might have to go borrow my girlfriends to have a play if she will let me:). Wakeup call!!! ty

Leigh said...

I love those! They are so romantic. I love embroidered linens.

I blogged about your divine smelling sachets today:

http://beadoriginal.blogspot.com/2011/04/to-forgive-canine.html

Susan Hemann said...

I have been in love with vintage hankies, napkins, doilies etc.. since I was a child. My favorite are the monogrammed ones.I have never tried to make one myself, although I have thought about it. It is on that looong list of things I want to do.

Krishenkas Treasures said...

Hi Susan nice to see you yes I agree and the list gets longer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...