Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Winters Block



As winter approaches it’s time to find a few projects to keep you amused and or make a few gifts for friends and family. I decided to use up some of my scraps and make a few Baby Blocks or Tumbling blocks, and so if you have never done these before give them a try, they are fun and although a little fiddly to start with  are worth the effort, and the more you do the easier they become.

So, if you want to try it? Then go find a sheet of cardboard, a pencil, a ruler and a set of compasses and lets make the template first. (soft fabrics are best for this as they need to be easliy folded)




I decided to go for a 7cm (2.3/4) diamond shape





1. After deciding what width you want your diamond to be, draw a line of that length on your sheet of paper

2. Open your compasses to the same width (7cm in this example). Place your compasses on one end of the line and draw an arc towards where the top of the diamond will be

3. Place your compasses (still open at 7cm) on the other end of the line and draw another arc

4. Repeat steps 3 and 4 drawing arcs at the bottom of the diamond

5. Place your ruler at one end of the 7cm line and connect it to the point where the two arcs meet at the top of the diamond. Draw a straight line. Repeat from the other end of the line to the same point of the arc, and repeat again at the bottom of the diamond

6. You now have an accurate diamond, drawn to your dimensions ready to make Tumbling Blocks or Baby Blocks.



Right that’s that bit done so now you have your template. Now cut out several papers using your original cardboard template, you need 3 for each complete block, so depending on what you want to make will determine how many you will need. As I have no idea at the moment what my finished piece will be I cut out 30 to get me started. Try to be as accurate as possible as it will affect the final fit of your patchwork.



Pin the paper patches to the wrong side of your material and then fold over the turnings all round and then use a baste stitch to hold down (I press mine to get a good flat edge). Now the fun bit! Joining them together. I used a whipstitch to finish mine.





So I will be back sometime in the next few days, weeks,  month or so to let you see what I finally made with my blocks, and I would love to see what you come up with too. Have fun! ps: if you have any pictures of your blocks send them to me and I will post them here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...